Friday, November 14, 2008

Ramblings...

I'm sorry for the lack of posts, I've been busy (yes) and there isn't anything to post about. Can you believe I've been debating with myself whether or not I should post anything about the election? I really am glad that it's over. Of course I am elated about Obama winning (I know I said I didn't care- I really did, but you all knew that didn't you?). Good luck to you Mr. President Elect, you're going to need it.
Now for a topic that has been bothering me as of late:
-Proposition 8-
I've tried to have an open mind, but sometimes too much "openness" allows brain spillage. I'm sorry to a majority of people I love for standing strongly against something you stand so strongly for.

I don't understand how people can preach for love and acceptance in this world and at the same time make it impossible for others to realize these things? Against the law to be wed? Don't you think the bigger punishment would be to allow marriage? :) Seriously. Who cares if homosexual people want to find their happily ever after, the same way the rest of us do? Isn't it their right as citizens of this country (just as it is ours) to achieve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? I want desperately to understand why this is so important to you and why you think it threatens your own marriages... Personally, I think God has more important things to do than sit around worrying about same-sex marriage not while genocide, child-predators, and people trafficking still occur EVERY SINGLE DAY! I wanted to remain neutral, however due to my ignorance and fear of mob-mentality I played a small role in this atrocity.

Peace and love be with you all.

3 comments:

Amylee said...

Know what I love about you? That we can have such POLAR OPPOSITE views, and still be such good friends. Good for us, right? I think it's because you respect my beliefs as I respect yours. So, I am honest when I say, thank you for sharing. I know you let me a little bit the other night (a very little bit).

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh, THANK YOU! I love this post! I agree with every thing you have said. You have every right to post your opinion on YOUR blog. I was also so excited that Obama won and sadly I got a lot of slack for supporting him. I think he is going to do great things for our country. I can't wait for him to get in and change things around and then watch people sit back and fall in love with our new President. I got emotional during his acceptance speech, lol. I feel the same way about Proposition 8...and I am one of the few active LDS members that felt that way. My (I'll make this short) opinion is that we are Christians and we are to accept everyone..race, color,sex, and all kids of diversity. If having a piece of paper that says they are married makes them happy, then so be it. They are human too...they deserve to be happy also. What they do in their bed room is their business, (as long as I don't have to watch:) I have seen so many gay couples that have taken children in as if they were their own and have given them a better life then even I could have...and they seem to be turning out all right:) I am just afraid that our LDS church has turned so many people away from even thinking about coming or showing any interest and many have even left the church over this. Basically, if being gay is so evil, then let God deal with it in the end. It's between the person and God, not for us to judge or push our beliefs on anybody.

AHHHH, thank you for letting me vent. I needed that:) Hope you are feeling well. Love ya!

Becky said...

So, we should talk about this sometime :) It's not as much withholding rights as it was the other details that the law included...

Peace, Sista.