Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter to All...

ONE OF MY FAVORITE MEMORIES OF EASTER:
Before my Great-Grandma died she held these HUGE Easter Egg Hunts in her back field. Eggs were worth actual money and could be sold at face value; how else could they make 14 dozen deviled eggs? The greatest prize was the candy you could find from the year before and believe me when I say: Cousin so-and-so was no longer asked to hide eggs. The best part of this Easter tradition for me was getting together like a week before and sitting around Grandma's kitchen table dying eggs and stuffing sacks full of candy (lets face it- probably one of the only places I could interact with kids my own age). Every year around this time I think about how much fun I had and kind of wish I had a bigger family to carry on the tradition, and then I wake up from that dream and realize how crazy I was for thinking that and could someone stop me from sniffing the vinegar? Seriously though- I miss you Grandma Walker and your outrageous Easter Egg Hunts!!

3 comments:

Amylee said...

That would be a blast! Family, to me, is seriously the best. That is what makes holidays so special and fun. I bet you will be surprised at the memories McKenzie loves one day. Won't that be fun to one day remember how the holidays were from their eyes?

Becky said...

That's a sweet memory. My mom and I do an Easter party for the grandkids - and let's say we are not as generous as your grandma anymore. This year I did a scavenger hunt, because I am no longer hiding eggs and letting the contents inside melt in the warm sun, and telling the older kids to put them back just so the younger kids can have just as many. It's ridiculous. One small prize at the end of the party. That's all you get.

Becky said...

P.S. Have you seen "I am Legend"? Admittedly, I only saw the parts loud enough to wake me up, but I would give it 0 out of 5 nasty human-looking alien things.