Thursday, June 25, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson

I am not a perfect person, I know this. Not everyone I know believes the same things as me, thinks the same way I do, or would make the same decisions I've made. Here are some things that I've been thinking about the past few days...

1. Shampoo: Is there really that big of a difference between all of the shampoos? I buy the not cheap/not expensive kind that is meant for blonds-natural or not. What is the ingredient used that makes it exclusively helpful for blondies? Or is this an example of the consumer (me) falling for the crap being fed to her? There probably isn't a difference- it is all psychological.

2. Facebook.

3. I have watched every episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8. Is it stupid that I liked this show? Don't answer that. I feel like such a sucker, because now it seems like Jon & Kate are purposely exploiting their small children for money, when before I thought it was just a way for people to see what it was like to raise multiples. What happened?

4. Since when did manners go out the window? Would it be too much to ask for someone to appreciate the nice things people did for them- all out of love? Seriously- a bunch of persons that I know did something really great for one particular person this weekend and I don't think any of them were ever thanked. NEVER underestimate the importance or weight of a heartfelt "thank you."

5. Speaking of weddings, I have been presented with a somewhat peculiar request (more than once), I am wondering if it is normal or if I am justified in being a tiny bit annoyed by this reoccurring scenario: I have been invited to a bridal shower for someone I have never spoken to in my life, and this person is having a "small" wedding- which means that I won't be invited to the reception. Now this may not seem like a big deal to most- this is the FOURTH time this has happened to me- being invited to the bridal shower and not the reception and a couple of times I didn't even receive an announcement so I'm not even sure the couple went through with the wedding and what really happened to that ten dollar gift that I gave you that took me 4 hours to find because the parking lot at target was filled with toddlers running everywhere and forget trying to get the damn registry thing to print and is this the right color of towels or is it the darker shade of red and why can't I find the matching dishcloths? Perhaps this is a new thing to do- even though I believe it to be a smidge (that's right, I wrote the word smidge) on the side of tacky. If you aren't going to invite me to your wedding then I'm probably not important enough (and I'm not) to be invited to your bridal shower- you must be slightly desperate to be inviting me anyway since I have no money and can only afford to get you a "small" gift. Maybe these people feel sorry for me because I have like three friends and think that I have no life which is obvious after reading this post and in that case: I'd rather not receive your pity-invite thank you very much.

5 comments:

Amylee said...

Laughing my butt off over here. I'm glad I'm one of your three friends, by the way. (Or do I just pretend like I'm your friend and really you're like, "what's the deal with that girl that always wears pink and texts me to see if she can come over and sit on her butt while her child romps through my garden?")
Just buy Treseme shampoo.
And don't go to the shower- save your ten bucks.

Reeses Pieces said...

I'm totally one of those that thinks all shampoos are the same. At least for me they all do the same thing. I'm a total Facebook junky but wish I wasn't. I love these thoughts....they're all true!

Becky said...

Nice post!!
Speaking of weddings? Does that mean that #4 you are referring to the wedding you recently attended? I'm guessing perhaps the bride never showed appreciation to anyone who spent all their time and energy on her. I know someone else who did that. Beggars.

And,really. If you're not close enough to be invited to the reception - you should NOT be buying a gift for a shower.

Facebook.

P.S. Can I be one of your 3 friends too? Or are you full?

Denise Johnson said...

Lindsey,

I love reading your blog posts, especially your rants. Your writing really comes to life and smacks of biting sarcasm.

Jon and Kate, yeah, I never watch shows like that, it seems too much like the "Truman Show" although they are knowingly playing the part of allowing their lives to be recorded and aired for public entertainment. To me, shows like this are reminiscent of the circus side shows; they prey on the public's curiosity about people who are "freakishly" different.

Facebook - my biggest complaint is that "friends" who have added me should not be marketing to me. It is time to block those "friends" - efusjon and photographers.

Shampoo - I like a good conditioner and believe it makes more of a difference in the condition (no pun intended) of my hair.

Thank you's and bridal showers - you summed this up succinctly. But since you mentioned it, I am still waiting for a thank you for a shower gift (same situation as yours, no wedding invitation) that I gave a couple of years back. Thank you's should not be forgotten!! There is no reasonable excuse to not send a note acknowledging the gift.

Thanks for sharing!!

Jeff & Heidi said...

Yes, I do believe this is the first time I have ever left a comment on anyone's blog, but I know that I'll get harrassed by the D lady and the L lady if I don't.
Shampoo - it's just a money thing.
Facebook - I don't do anything on it and of course I don't have my picture on my profile. I just love reading the family comments to see what's going on. By the way Lindsey, did you see the news about Kyli, do you think it's a proposal?
Jon Kate - well for those of you who loved watching the show there's a new one on another channel about parents with another set of 6 kids, and I think the octomom also has one coming out. Won't be watching either one. Can't even imagine watching 6 children at one time.
Thank you's, yes it's like I tell you about your little girl, when she gets older she'll ask you what that word means and why she has to use it because no one else does.
And then the big thing that is on all the Johnson girls' minds. Why are we invited to one but not the other. I am very happy for this group of individuals that have decided that when they get married that they don't need to invite everyone that they have met under the sun to their ceremonies and their receptions. I love it. The thing that bothers me also is that we are good enough to be invited to a shower but not the wedding. According to several experts on this subject if you aren't inviting someone to a reception you shouldn't be inviting them to a shower. So please save your stamp and invite.
And one P.S. Yes to the people who receive shower gifts - both baby and wedding, and wedding gifts, please have enough respect to your givers to send them a thank you note. I too have several presents that I have delivered on later dates that I still have no idea if they received the gift, due to it being left on the front porch or giving it to a relative.
So I haven't spoken for years on someone else's blog and now I'll just go back into my life and probably not talk for several more years.
Okay so another P. S. S. Yes, Lindsey I also love to read your blog and your comments.